You may have given up things of comfort or of immense importance to you during this lent season. Since this is the season for repentance, cleansing, and forgiveness, why not give up strife as well? I read about somebody who decided to give up worry for lent. With God’s help, you too can give up this negative emotion and build godly characters. The Bible says we should give up those sins that so easily entangles (Hebrews 12:1). Striving is one of those sins for some Christians and if we must become pure before God’s eyes, strife must go.
Strife always attracts fights, arguments, misunderstandings and one conflict or the other. You may not have started the fight but somehow you find yourself in the midst of it. You may have been trying to assert yourself but somehow your conversations turn into arguments. Your intentions may have been misunderstood and one way or the other, conflicts ensued. All these are the works of the spirit of strife. If you have ever found yourself constantly defending yourself, trying to make amends to what should not have taken place in the first place, you really need God’s intervention for the spirit of strife may have been at work.
God is a God of peace and his children must follow in his stead – follow peace with all men (Romans 12:18). It does not matter who is at fault, God wants you to be at peace. He says when “Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high” (Isaiah 58:4). Your fast must not end in violence or strife. You must find a way to attract peace to your life.
The world is very quick to place a label on anybody they find argumentative, cantankerous or quarrelsome. This may not be your character and according to your identity in Christ, this is not who God made you be, but for the sake of peace, renounce every inherited characteristics of strife, let go and let God flood your life with his peace.
I heard of an individual who went to evangelize and he got into an argument with other religious believers. The argument got so big that the policemen got involved. This individual then turned on the police officers with more argument and he was eventually taken into custody. This should not be the case for believers for God has not made us judges over others (Matthew 7:1), instead, he commands individuals to carry their cross and follow Jesus (Matthew 16:24).
It is very possible that you desire to overcome strife and that is why you are reading this devotional, God can deliver you completely from strife and give you perfect peace that comes from him. When you speak out loud the following Bible Declarations every day in humility with prayers, God will come and bring to pass his word in your life. He will renew your mind until your life is completely transformed and you have a new world in Christ Jesus.
Make a Declaration of faith
- I thank you, God, for all the people you surround me with. I thank you for my family, friends, companions, colleagues and acquaintances alike. I know it is your will that no man should be alone (Genesis 2:18) and you set the lonely in families and among people (Psalm 68:6).
- I acknowledge you as the God of peace who dwells among peaceful relationships. With your help and grace I know I can have peaceful relationships with everybody in my life (Romans 1:28-29).
- I declare I am filled with godly wisdom through the spirit of Christ that dwells in my heart. Henceforth, I will walk in wisdom. I will no longer be involved in foolish arguments, contentions and strife of any kind as these are unprofitable and vain before the eyes of God and to all men (Titus 3:9).
- With God’s help, I will pursue things that have God’s approval and stay away from lusts of the flesh such as foolish and stupid arguments as he gives me grace. I declare that henceforth, I will pursue faith, love, and peace together with those who worship the Lord with a pure heart (2 Timothy 2:22-23).
- Today I choose wisdom above foolishness, I will stay away from strife at all times and honor shall be my reward (Proverbs 20:3).
- Today I receive the revelatory power of God to recognize and to stop strife of any kind before it breaks out in any situations and circumstances (Proverbs 17:14).
- God has not made me a fool, therefore with his power that lives on the inside of me, I declare my freedom from the spirit of strife (Proverbs 20:3).
- I know anybody who works in the flesh manifests strife and cannot inherit the kingdom of God. Today I submit myself to the spirit of God and I will begin to walk in the spirit at all times bearing in mind my reward is righteousness, peace, and joy in the holy spirit shall be mine(Galatians 5:19-21).
- I declare my tongue shall no longer bring strife but peace to all men and my mouth shall no longer invite fights (Proverbs 18:6-7).
- Since I carry the spirit of God in my heart and his spirit gives wisdom to those who asks for it, today I ask for wisdom to deal with negative issues arising and I know that with God’s help, I will not fall into traps with foolishness and stupid arguments that cause quarrels (2 Timothy 2:23). These are my declarations.