It may not come naturally for new believers to develop and express the goodness Christian character. Not in the world where evil and wickedness is prevalent with corruption, dishonesty, indecency, cruelty, immorality and the likes anyway. To embrace this benevolence would mean going against the norm and choosing to conform to the nature of Jesus Christ of Nazareth who went about doing good healing all who were oppressed by the devil(Acts 10:38).
Though you may not have the power of God to heal the sick and deliver the demon possessed just yet, you can still do great things for God should you desire to do so. Thankfully, God has enabled you to be like him in knowing good and evil (Genesis 3:22) and this is the start of it all. Also you can be empowered through the power in the spoken word of God declared over your life. You too can become a vessel of honor in God’s hands in this age of dishonour and loss. Should you desire this gift, all you have to do is ask and it will be given to you.
Just like Mother Teresa was a chosen vessel in God’s hands in her lifetime. She chose to obey her calling as a child of God doing good for the underprivileged through her humanitarian and charitable work. You too have been chosen to become a child of God and Christ follower, it is therefore your personal Christian responsibility to go about doing good unto others. This is the nature of Christ and it must flow easily from you to the world irrespective of any environment you find yourself. It is that mark of Christ that distinguishes his followers from the world and you must renew your mind from this world’s normalcy so that you can be conformed to the image of Christ.
Doing good for others surely has its reward though its reward must not be your motivation but to fulfil the will of him that sent you in being the light of the world (Matthew 5:14). I can never forget my return from climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Compassion UK in January 2017. I didn’t expect anything in return but upon my return from the trip, I was pleasantly surprised to have read from local newspapers who had carried the news about the fundraising project. It did not stop there but we went on to have an interview about it all on Jesus House radio. When I extended myself a little bit to help others, its news spread across board.
God is ready and willing to give you this good and perfect gift that only comes from him. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit who dwells in you and it is a good gift that brings blessings and rests for your soul (Jeremiah 6:16). If by any chance you desire fame at all, do good. Should you want anybody to take you seriously and treat you with respect, do good. The following Bible declarations can help propel you into a place of prayer where you are able to ask and receive this goodness of the Lord.
Make a Declaration of Faith
- Lord. you are good and your loving kindness is everlasting. You are ready to forgive and you are abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon you. I give you thanks for your goodness to all men and your mercies over all your works. (Psalm 145:9)(Psalm 86:5)(1 Chronicles 16:34, Psalm 106:1)
- Today I acknowledge you as God the father of light with whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning and I thank you God for every good gift and every perfect gift comes from you (James 1:17)
- Today I receive God’s goodness and mercy with gratitude in my heart and thanksgiving on my lips (Psalm 143:10)
- Today I receive the gift to be good to all men just as Christ was good to all men. I receive this gift with thanks and gratitude in my heart ((1 Timothy 4:4)
- I declare that I am full of goodness. I am filled with all knowledge and I am able to instruct others according to God’s ways (Romans 15:14)
- Since I am heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ Jesus, I am also anointed for goodness just as Christ Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit to do good. I am anointed to love mercy and to walk before God in humility. Henceforth, I will be just in all my dealings with people (Micah 6:8)
- I believe I am equipped with God’s goodness and I am competent for every good work (2 Timothy 3:17)
- I believe that out of the abundance of the Holy Spirit of God who dwells in me I will bring forth the fruits of the spirit of goodness. I will be good to others as opportunities present itself. I will be good to all men and especially to those in the household of faith (Matthew 12:35, Galatians 6:10)
- With God’s help, I will devote myself unto good works, to things which are excellent and profitable for people (Titus 3:8-10)
- With God’s grace, I will make every effort to supplement my faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, (2 Peter 1:5).
- As God gives me strength, I will render my service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, (Ephesians 6:7)
- Henceforth, I will trust God to bless me with his goodness because I fear his name so that I might test everything and hold fast to what is good (Psalms 34:8, Psalm 31:19, 1 Thessalonians 5:21)
- I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living henceforth!(Psalm 27:13)
- I believe I have been specifically chosen by God with grace to approach the throne of mercy and so I am blessed and satisfied with the goodness of God’s house, even in his holy temple (Psalms 65:4).
- I believe that God of the universe will make all things to work together for my good because I love him and I have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:2)
- I declare that God’s goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever (Psalms 23:6)