I was going through my inbox one day when I stumbled upon an old email from a friend. The email content contained a long hurting conversation with my friend. We were both offended by each others behaviour and felt hurt towards each other, yet none of us was willing to back down. My friend and I have since reconciled our differences but for many years before our reconciliation, my hurt was buried deep within my heart and I carried on with life as if it things were good. Time they say heals pain, it was not until the cause of my pain resurfaced in an old email did I realise that I was still hurting. Thankfully the Holy Spirit intervened and I received my complete healing.
It is not ok for Christians to sweep hurt and offences under the carpet like the world does. Christians are meant to be the light in darkness even when the offence is caused by you or another Christian. For when we bury hurts without clearing it up, we hold God’s hands from moving in our lives and we allow the enemy to attack the body. Harmful toxins are released when we hold on to hurts and our health suffer as a result.
Affliction is not part of God’s plan for his children nonetheless Jesus recognised this act as humane and inevitable for his followers. He admonished believers to take heart and rest in him. Jesus said “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). When you get hurt as a Christian, find your peace in Christ.
Your health may have been affected by the hurt in your heart, the Bible said of those who believe in Jesus Christ that ‘they will pick up snakes with their hands, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will be made well” (Mark 16:18). I declare that those toxins in your body will no longer cause you harm in Jesus name. It may also be difficult to get over the hurt, the following Bible Declarations will help shift your focus to God for a complete healing and restoration.
Make a Declaration of Faith
- Blessed be God, the Father of my Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort, who comforts me in all my tribulation, that I may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble by the comfort with which I am comforted by God (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- I believe that in all things I am more than a conqueror through Him who loved me. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities nor powers, neither things present nor things to come, neither height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”(Romans 8:37-39)
- I believe God is with me, I will not be afraid nor be dismayed. He will strengthen me, he will help me, yes, and he will uphold me with his righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10)
- I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. I will wait on the Lord; I will stay strong, and my heart shall remain steadfast as I wait for my healing ( Psalm 27:13-14)
- And I know that all things work together for my good because I love God and I have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28)
- God sets me on high when I am feeling hurt (Job 5:11)
- My peace is in Christ Jesus and not in this world filled with tribulation. Therefore, I will be of good cheer for Christ overcame the world for me (John 16:33)
- I am hidden in the shelter of the highest; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock (Psalms 27:4-5).
- God’s promise gives me life. He is my hope and my comfort in affliction. Though the insolent utterly deride me, yet I will not turn away from God’s law. When I think of his rules from of old, I take comfort in him (Psalms 119:48-52).
- For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he causes grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men (Lamentations 3:31-32).
- Now may the God of hope fill me with all joy and peace in believing, so that I may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13)
- God will never leave me, nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5)