If the devil tempted Jesus Christ at his most vulnerable moments, he will tempt you, his follower. Temptations come when you least expect it. An innocent act here, a little white lie there and by the time you know it, you are neck deep in it. Even when you keep yourself pure, the devil will find a way to tempt you.
When Jesus hungered, the devil tempted him with food and as a result God sent angels to attend to him. When Joseph went about his chores as a servant, the devil tempted him with a woman and as a result he ended up in jail. When David was idle in the palace, the devil tempted him with beauty and as a result he lost a child. When Saul was at war, the devil tempted him with the spoils from the war, as a result he lost his kingdom.
On this Christian journey, you cannot escape temptations. The moment you declare your allegiance to Jesus Christ, you become the devil’s target. His number one goal is to distract people from knowing the truth. His mission is to stop people from knowing God, to win them over to his side and to ultimately lead them to their deaths.
There is a current continuous massive campaign against smoking as been dangerous to health. In a bid to help quitters in smoking, an electronic cigarettes was introduced. The people who subscribed to the e-cigarettes are somewhat free from the danger smoking causes to their health but they are mostly hooked with the e-cigarettes – where is total freedom in this e-cigarettes?
To overcome temptations, you have to fight through with the sword of the spirit which is the word of God, otherwise you are most likely to become the devil’s victim. You, as a Christian, must be careful, watchful and prayerful lest you fall into temptation. You must recognise the tactics of the enemy. You must be vigilant and ready to thwart his strategy against your soul.
The devil does not rest. He is always prowling, always looking for who to devour, always scheming and always watching for an opportune time to carry out his plans. His weapons may seem irresistibly strong, your weapons of warfare will overcome his strength at any time. Be ready to fight back with the weapons of your warfare.
Put on the whole armour of God, indispensable and readily made available for you. Wear the belt of truth and the body armour of God’s righteousness, for shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to these, hold up the shield of faith in order to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God with you (Ephesians 6:10-18)
Finally, fight back with the following Bible declarations and let God do the rest for you.
Make a Declaration of Faith
- I love you Lord, with all my heart, with my mind and with all my might. Through you, I can persevere during the trials of my faith and I am able to stand the test of time. I am thankful that after all these trials and tribulations against my faith are gone, you will bless me with the crown of life with which you promised those who love you (James 1:12).
- Today I will watch and pray so that I am not led into temptation. But when my faith is tempted and I am overwhelmed with life, I will persevere in faith and the Lord will deliver me from all evil. (James 1:3).
- In all things, I will overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loves me (Romans 8:37)
- Today I submit myself to the Lord God of the heavens and the earth. I resist the devil and his temptations, and he flees from me (James 4:7 KJV).
- With a sober mind and vigilant spiritual eyes, I declare that I overcome the devil, the adversary of my soul who roars like a lion and walks about seeking whom to devour (1 Peter 5:8 KJV)
- Anybody who is born of God overcomes the world, I am born of God, I overcome the world and every temptation the world brings along with it (1 John 5:4).
- I will walk in the spirit and I will not fulfil the lust of the flesh (Galatians 5:16). I will put on the whole armour of God and I am able to stand against the wiles of the devil, I will overcome temptations (Ephesians 6:11, Luke 22:40)
- For God is faithful, He will not to tempt me beyond what I can bear. He will always make a way for me to overcome every temptation that is common to man and by his grace, I will overcome (1 Corinthians 10:13).